“Life is simple. Just add water.”
Why is water so important for our bodies? Did you know that the human body is made up of approximately 60% water? It is vital that we continue to replenish our bodies with water for a variety of health reasons. Water is essential for healthy cell life, body temperature regulation, chemical and metabolic reactions, the transport of nutrients, and the removal of wastes. It is recommended the average person drink about 2 liters of water per day. That is about 64 ounces or at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day. Easy, right? Some people love drinking water, while others loathe it. Here are some tips and tricks to encourage yourself to drink more water if you find yourself struggling to meet the recommended daily intake.
Give a Flavor Makeover! Add 1 drop of your favorite citrus or mint essential oil to 8-ounces of water for a refreshing drink! Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Wild Orange, and Tangerine are all great citrus options! The wonderful thing about citrus essential oils is that they do not provide an intense sour flavor as they are cold pressed from the rinds of the fruit. Basically, you get the energy boost from the fruit, while only experiencing a mild citrus taste. If you are trying to kick those sugar cravings, Grapefruit will be your saving grace (the chemical constituents have been found to suppress sugar cravings). If you prefer a minty pick–me–up, Peppermint and Spearmint are also great flavor options!
- Tip: When adding essential oils to water, you want to drink out of a glass or stainless steel container because the essential oils will pull toxins from plastic. Since we are trying to be healthy here, you can see the potential predicament you would place yourself in if you choose to go the plastic route.
- Looking for a new water bottle? I am obsessed with S’well Bottles! They provide stylish, stainless steel water bottles that will keep your water ice cold all day long!
Make it a Challenge! If you have the type of mentality in which a challenge really motivates you to push yourself, download a water app! Apps like Daily Water Free assist you in counting and tracking your water intake, as well as providing reminders throughout the day to keep you on a strict water drinking schedule.
- Tip: It is important you consistently drink water throughout the day to keep your body fully hydrated. Do not wait until you feel thirsty to start drinking water because that is an indicator that your body is already headed down the road towards dehydration.
Double as a Detox! There are multiple ways you can add flavor to your water beyond the scope of essential oils. I absolutely love the taste of cucumber water because it gives you that “relaxing day at the spa feeling”. And yes, in case you were wondering, cucumbers are a fruit. Cucumbers have anti–inflammatory properties and they are also a great source of potassium, magnesium, and Vitamin B. Drinking cucumber water will boost your metabolism and flush toxins out of your body.
- Tip: Cucumber slices float, so top your water with some ice to keep the little guys submerged and fully infusing your water!
- If you are feeling extra adventurous with your cucumber water, throw in some pineapple for a tropical escape, or add a citrus essential oil!
Eat your Water! You can also increase your water intake by eating water–rich foods. Bell peppers (94% water), raw broccoli (91% water), celery (96% water), and cantaloupe (90% water) are just a few of the many hydrating foods. Click here to view a more in–depth list.
Chia, Chia, & More Chia! Chia seeds are a true superfood – they are rich in antioxidants, high in dietary fiber and calcium, treat diabetes, boost metabolism and energy, regulate cholesterol, and contain more protein than most plant–based sources. Quite the impressive résumé, right? Some people describe the flavor of chia seeds as mild and nutty. In my honest opinion, chia seeds are basically flavorless. Chia seeds are the perfect little package as they provide immense health benefits and they can be added to foods and drinks without affecting the overall flavor.
- Tip: Add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds to an 8-ounce glass of water and drink it as you are getting ready to boost your morning energy level. As if I have not already mentioned it enough, add 1 drop of a citrus essential oil and I guarantee you will start your day on the bright side.
What are some of your tricks to ensure you drink water throughout the day? If you are a chia seed addict, how do you incorporate this superfood into your daily routine? I would love to hear your thoughts!