Lavender is known as the Oil of Communication. This calming essential oil promotes open communication and relaxation. Lavender “encourages emotional honesty and insists that one speak their innermost thoughts and desires.” Even more, Lavender reduces tension, the fear of rejection, and fear of expression. The purpose of this blog post is to provide you with some background information in order to establish a basic understanding of Lavender essential oil.
Lavender comes from the Labiatae botanical family, which is the fancy, scientific word for mint. Two of the main chemical constituents found in lavender are alcohols and linalool which contain anti-inflammatory and sedative properties. The extraction method for Lavender essential oil involves the distillation of the flower top of lavender. If you are interested in learning more about essential oil extraction, check out my blog post here, which covers the basics of essential oil extraction and the importance of quality.
The primary uses for Lavender essential oil include allergies, anxiety, appetite loss, bites/stings, blisters, burns, calming, chicken pox, concentration, crying, cuts, dandruff, depression, diaper rash, exhaustion, fever, gnat repellent, grief/sorrow, dry/fragile hair and hair loss, hyperactivity, inflammation, insomnia, itching, jet lag, dry lips, menopause, mental stress, mood swings, pain, physical stress, poison ivy/oak, post labor, postpartum depression, rashes, relaxation, rheumatoid arthritis, dry/sensitive skin, sunburn, teeth pain, tension, ticks, vertigo, withdrawal, and wrinkles.
If you are interested in learning more about the research and studies that have been conducted on the primary uses of Lavender, the U.S. National Library of Medicine website is a fantastic resource!
Lavender essential oil can be applied via all three application methods–topical, aromatic, and internal. Topical: Lavender essential oil can be applied directly to the skin on the area of concern or on reflex points. Aromatic: Lavender essential oil can be inhaled directly of diffused. Internal: place 1-2 drops under your tongue or take using a veggie capsule! Tip: 1 drop Lavender essential oil = 1-2 teaspoon dried culinary lavender!
- Struggling with seasonal allergies? Add 2 drops each of Lavender, Peppermint, and Lemon to a veggie capsule to alleviate allergy symptoms!
- Accidentally burn yourself? Apply Lavender to burned skin for instant relief!
- Long day and in need of some relaxation? Toss a scoop of Epsom salt and a few drops of Lavender into a warm bath to unwind!
- Interested in updating your chai tea latte? Add 1 drop of Lavender for a soothing, calming drink!
- Do you feel a tension headache coming on? Apply Lavender (and Peppermint!) to the temples, back of the neck, or reflex points for relief!
- Looking to enhance natural eyelash growth? Add 1 drop of Lavender to a brand new wand of mascara! Your eyelashes will become stronger and longer over a few weeks of daily use!
- Having trouble sleeping at night? Or maybe you just need a great nap? Diffuse Lavender and cedarwood essential oils for the sweetest of dreams!
- Forgot to put on sunscreen at the beach? Oops! Lavender is a great sunburn soother! Add a few drops Lavender to fractionated coconut oil and rub on your sunburnt skin!
- Tired of buying semi-effective dryer sheets? Add a few drops of Lavender to wool dry balls and toss in the dryer with damp clothes for a natural freshener!
- Did you have a minor cut or scrape? After cleaning the affected area, apply 1 drop of Lavender for increased healing and relief!
- Experiencing a stressful day at work? Diffuse Lavender or simply inhale the lavender aroma straight from the bottle for an instant calming effect!
- Struggling with a dry scalp and unwanted dandruff? Add 1 drop of Lavender to shampoo while washing your hair to stimulate hair growth and control dandruff!
Where do I get most of my information from? The sources I completely rely on and fully trust are Modern Essentials and Emotions & Essential Oils: A Modern Resource for Healing. Check out these books if you are interested in learning more about the benefits of Lavender essential oil!
What are some of your favorite ways to use Lavender essential oil? How do you incorporate this essential oil in your daily routine to regulate your emotions? I would love to hear your thoughts!
DISCLAIMER: this website is for general health information only. This content is not to be used as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment of any health condition or problem. You should not rely on this information for your own health problems. Any questions regarding your own health should be addressed to your own healthcare provider.