Oregano is known as the Oil of Humility. This empowering essential oil “dispels materialism and attachment that hinders an individual’s growth and progress.” Oregano encourages true spirituality and the elimination of toxic relationships and activities. Additionally, Oregano promotes humility, the willingness to be strong, and clears negativity. The purpose of this blog post is to provide you with some background information in order to establish a basic understanding of Oregano essential oil.
Oregano comes from the Labiatae botanical family, which is the fancy, scientific word for mint. The main chemical constituents found in Oregano are phenols, which contain antibacterial properties. The extraction method for Oregano essential oil involves the steam distillation of the herb. If you are interested in learning more about essential oil extraction, check out my blog post here, which covers the basics of essential oil extraction and the importance of quality.
The primary uses for Oregano essential oil include athlete’s foot, calluses, canker sores, carpal tunnel syndrome, fungal infections, immune system support, inflammation, intestinal parasites, MRSA, muscle aches, parasites, pneumonia, ringworm, staph infection, viral infections, warts, and whooping cough.
If you would like to do some additional research and learn about the studies that have been conducted on the primary uses of Oregano, the U.S. National Library of Medicine website is a fantastic resource!
Oregano essential oil can be applied via three application methods—topical, aromatic, and internal. Topical: Oregano essential oil should be diluted before it is applied directly to the skin on the area of concern or on reflex points. Dilute using a 1:3 ratio (1 drop of Oregano with 3 drops of fractionated coconut oil). Aromatic: Oregano essential oil can be inhaled directly or diffused. Internal: Oregano essential oil is great for cooking! Tip: 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil with 1 drop of Oregano essential oil = 1 teaspoon dried oregano!
- Are you starting to feel a little under the weather? For a quick immune boost, add 2 drops of each of the following essential oils to a veggie capsule: Oregano, Lemon, Frankincense, and Melaleuca!
- Looking for an all-natural, all-purpose cleaner? Add 10 drops of Oregano to a 16-ounce spray bottle filled with water to clean your sinks, showers, and bathtubs!
- Struggling with rough cuticles while you are trying to get ready for sandal season? Mix about 6 drops of fractionated coconut oil with 1 drop of Oregano and rub on cuticles/toenails!
- Are you one of those people who always has cold feet? Right now I am raising my hand. Mix about 6 drops of fractionated coconut oil with 1 drop of Oregano and massage onto your feet to instantly warm your body!
- Is your throat starting to feel a little scratchy? Add 1 drop of Oregano to a shot glass filled with water and gargle to soothe your irritated throat!
Where do I get most of my information from? The sources I completely rely on and fully trust are Modern Essentials and Emotions & Essential Oils: A Modern Resource for Healing. Check out these books if you are interested in learning more about the benefits of Oregano essential oil!
What are some of your favorite ways to use Oregano essential oil? How do you incorporate this essential oil in your daily routine to regulate your emotions? I would love to hear your thoughts!
DISCLAIMER: this website is for general health information only. This content is not to be used as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment of any health condition or problem. You should not rely on this information for your own health problems. Any questions regarding your own health should be addressed to your own healthcare provider.