Grapefruit is known as the Oil of Honoring the Body. This uplifting essential oil “teaches true respect and appreciation for one’s physical body.” Grapefruit combats negative emotions like anxiety by promoting self-acceptance and encouraging integrity through acknowledgment and respect for one’s physical needs. This essential oil encourages “a positive relationship with one’s body based on love, tolerance, and acceptance.” The purpose of this blog post is to provide you with some background information in order to establish a basic understanding of Grapefruit essential oil.
Grapefruit comes from the Rutaceae botanical family, which is the fancy, scientific word for citrus. One of the main chemical constituents found in grapefruits is d-Limone, a natural compound which contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The extraction method for Grapefruit essential oil involves the cold pressing of grapefruit rinds. If you are interested in learning more about essential oil extraction, check out my blog post here, which covers the basics of essential oil extraction and the importance of quality.
The primary uses for Grapefruit essential oil include appetite suppressant, bulimia, cellulite, dry throat, edema, gallbladder stones, hangovers, mental stress, obesity, overeating, performance stress, PMS, stress, and withdrawal.
If you would like to do some additional research and learn about the studies that have been conducted on the primary uses of Grapefruit, the U.S. National Library of Medicine website is a fantastic resource!
Grapefruit essential oil can be applied via three application methods—topical, aromatic, and internal. Topical: Grapefruit essential oil can be applied directly to the skin on the area of concern or on reflex points. Aromatic: Grapefruit essential oil can be inhaled directly or diffused. Internal: add to a drink or take using a veggie capsule!
- Are you having trouble studying or focusing on an important task? Add a few drops of Grapefruit and Peppermint essential oil to your diffuser for the perfect concentration blend!
- Looking for a natural way to boost your metabolism? Add a drop of Grapefruit to a glass of water before eating a meal!
- Need an early morning pick-me-up? Add a few drops of Grapefruit to a basic body wash for an invigorating shower!
- Dealing with cramps because it is that time of the month? Massage a few drops of Grapefruit to relieve symptoms!
- Struggling to drink enough water throughout the day? Add 1 drop of Grapefruit to 8-ounces of water for a refreshing drink!
- Why is it that blemishes always show up right before an important event? Add a few drops of Grapefruit to a cotton ball and dab the affected areas!
- Need of an afternoon pick-me-up? Inhale Grapefruit directly from the bottle, or apply to the wrists for an energizing boost!
Where do I get most of my information from? The sources I completely rely on and fully trust are Modern Essentials and Emotions & Essential Oils: A Modern Resource for Healing. Check out these books if you are interested in learning more about the benefits of Grapefruit essential oil!
What are some of your favorite ways to use Grapefruit essential oil? How do you incorporate this essential oil in your daily routine to regulate your emotions? I would love to hear your thoughts!
DISCLAIMER: this website is for general health information only. This content is not to be used as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment of any health condition or problem. You should not rely on this information for your own health problems. Any questions regarding your own health should be addressed to your own healthcare provider.