Lime is known as the Oil of Zest for Life. This uplifting essential oil “revitalizes the heart space, giving room for light and joy.” Lime encourages individuals to pursue balance between the heart and the mind and encourages gratefulness for the gift of life. Additionally, Lime instills courage, determination, and cheer. The purpose of this blog post is to provide you with some background information in order to establish a basic understanding of Lime essential oil.
Lime comes from the Rutaceae botanical family, which is the fancy, scientific word for citrus. One of the main chemical constituents found in limes is d-Limone, a natural compound which contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The extraction method for Lime essential oil involves cold pressing lime peels. If you are interested in learning more about essential oil extraction, check out my blog post here, which covers the basics of essential oil extraction and the importance of quality.
The primary uses for Lime essential oil include bacterial infections, fever, gum/grease removal, and skin revitalization.
If you would like to do some additional research and learn about the studies that have been conducted on the primary uses of Lime, the U.S. National Library of Medicine website is a fantastic resource!
Lime essential oil can be applied via all three application methods–topical, aromatic, and internal. Topical: Lime essential oil can be applied directly to the skin on the area of concern or on reflex points. Aromatic: Lime essential oil can be inhaled directly or diffused. Internal: add to a drink or take using a veggie capsule! Additionally, Lime essential oil can be great in cooking. Tip: 1 drop of Lime essential oil = 1 teaspoon lime zest.
- Tired of the waxy residue on your fruits? Add a few drops of Lime to a large bowl of cool water and soak your fruit for about 10 minutes!
- You know when you pull the price sticker off something and it leaves that annoying adhesive residue? Rub 1 drop of Lime on the affected area to eliminate the stickiness!
- Starting to experience a fever? Apply Lime to your forehead/back of your neck or add a few drops to a lukewarm bath.
- Are you having trouble studying or focusing on an important task? Add a few drops of Lime and Grapefruit essential oil to your diffuser for the perfect concentration blend!
- Need an early morning pick-me-up? Add a few drops of Lime to a basic body wash for an invigorating shower!
- Struggling to drink enough water throughout the day? Add 1 drop of Lime to 8-ounces of water for a refreshing drink!
- Want to ditch those sugary cocktail mixers? Or maybe you forgot to grab the limes? Add 1 drop of Lime to a tequila shot and well…you can thank me later for the tip! You can also add 1 drop of Lime to a Corona or Moscow Mule!
Sweet for Spring-Key Lime Pie Recipe:
For the past few years, one of my favorite Easter traditions has been to bake a homemade key lime pie! I have a few extra ingredients in my recipe for the perfect tart + sweet balance!
- 1 + 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 14oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh key lime juice
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ***Lime essential oil***
- ***vanilla extract***
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter + press into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake graham cracker crust @ 350º for 5-10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Set aside and cool.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk and lime juice until blended. ***Add 3 drops of Lime essential oil for a little extra zest!*** Pour mixture into pie crust and set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat the mixture until the sugar has dissolved and soft peaks form. ***Add a splash of vanilla extract for a little extra sweetness!***
- Spread meringue over filling.
- Bake pie @350º for about 15 minutes.
- Chill for 8+ hours.
- Just before serving, garnish with fresh key lime zest. YUM!
Where do I get most of my information from? The sources I completely rely on and fully trust are Modern Essentials and Emotions & Essential Oils: A Modern Resource for Healing. Check out these books if you are interested in learning more about the benefits of Lime essential oil!
What are some of your favorite ways to use Lime essential oil? How do you incorporate this essential oil in your daily routine to regulate your emotions? I would love to hear your thoughts!
DISCLAIMER: this website is for general health information only. This content is not to be used as a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment of any health condition or problem. You should not rely on this information for your own health problems. Any questions regarding your own health should be addressed to your own healthcare provider.